Depending on whether you have a 2 or 3 core cable you will have the following coloured wires. Brown, which is the live, Blue, which is neutral and if 3 core Yellow and Green, which is the earth.
1. First unscrew the top of the plug and loosen the cord grips (these are the small screws close to the cable)
2. The Brown wire goes to the terminal close to the fuse
3. The Blue wire goes to the left
4. The Yellow and Green wire goes to the top (if 3 core cable)
5. The terminals vary, some have a screw top and you need to wind the exposed wire around the pin then screw the top back on. Some have a screw on the top and a hole where the exposed wire is passed through then the screw is tightened to secure it
6. The insulation of the cable should be placed under the cord grip and tightened securely, you should not be able to see any of the coloured wires from outside the plug
7. Make sure you have the correct size of fuse in place. Check below for choosing the right fuse size
8. Finally screw the top of the plug back on
To make sure you are using the right fuse size, check the wattage of the appliance. (This should be written on a plate on the appliance or in the instruction manual). If the appliance is under 720 watts it will need a 3 amp fuse, if over use a 13 amp fuse. Typical appliances for a 3 amp fuse would be a lamp, clock, radio alarm. Typical appliances for a 13 amp would be a hair-dryer, washing machine, vacuum cleaner and power tools.
NB: If in doubt consult an electrician