Style 20 Style 19 Style 18 Style 17 Style 16 Style 15 Style 14 Style 13 Style 12 Style 11 Style 10 Style 9 Style 8 Style 7 Style 6 Style 5 Style 4 Style 3 Style 2 Style 1
Home arrow Divorce/ Separation arrow Children arrow False Allegations

Membership Benefits

  • couple back to backHave your say in our forums
  • Ask us and others for advice
  • Chat in our chat room
  • Online dating
  • Downloads
  • More articles, jokes, quotes...

Register for Free!

Click here for more

Dealing with Unfounded Allegations Print E-mail

Dealing with unfounded allegations against you can be emotionally draining, particularly if you feel that you have to jump through hopes to refute them. This is where the law falls down as many ex partners are left to prove their innocence whilst the ex partner rarely faces prosecution for making up lies and wasting the court's time. This is the only part of the legal system where a person is considered guilty until they can prove their innocence!

There are many organisations campaigning for a change in the law, particularly for fathers who are often discriminated against by the current system. See our Fathers Rights for a list of such organisations. In the meantime there are practical steps you can take to minimise the damage. Remember that the onus is on you to disprove the allegations, not on your partner to prove them.

* Collect evidence of your good character. Show how you treated your children during the marriage and draw attention to their statements to the Cafcass Officer if they still want to see you.

* Suggest that your ex is still upset following the divorce or has other motives e.g. a new partner, to stop you seeing the children. However, do not make unfounded allegations of your own as these may backfire and simply show you to be the ex with a grudge.

Consider taking on voluntary work with children or young people which will involve a police check and show that the appropriate organisations have considered you fit to look after children.

* Resist attempts by the court or Cafcass Officer to suggest supervised contact until any reports have been prepared. See our section on Contact for further information.

* Consider applying for residency of your children on the grounds that you can offer the children unrestricted access to two parents. Make sure that you consider it seriously and see our section on Residency

* Get counselling to help you through the trauma of dealing with unfounded allegations. This will help you to keep a clear head and enable you to deal with your case more effectively.

< Prev   Next >


Your advertisement could be here or anywhere on our site. To support through advertising please contact us for further details

Schools and Education is pleased to offer schools a range of worksheets and lesson plans centred around the themes of relationships, divorce and bereavement.

To access these resources all we ask if that you place an advertisment for in your school newsletter, so that your students and their parents can find the help and advice they need when facing the end of a relationship.

Contact Us for further details

Status Centre

rss Section 508 css valid xhtml valid